Australian land-based casinos
Australian land-based casinos
With live music, multiple bars, entertaining shows, and a crowd of buzzing players, land-based venues have all the right elements for a good night out. But for the serious gambler, this can sometime affect gameplay and ultimately cause unavoidable mistakes.
Therefore, we recommend visiting land-based casinos if you’re in the mood to be social, or if there is a poker tournament on of course. Otherwise, online casinos are sometimes better suited. For the social player we have found some of the best casinos in every state of Australia, so if you are planning a big night you know exactly where to go.
Additionally, we recommend signing up to their member’s club, which all casinos have, especially if you are planning to spend some big money there. If you are just visiting, it is still worthwhile to become a member.
This casino is Australia’s most iconic land-based venue and is the largest casino in the Southern Hemisphere. Crown Casino is located on the south bank of Yarra River, Melbourne, and offers all the popular casino tiles you would expect a casino to offer, along with an iconic Sports Bar and live entertainment.
- Games Crown casino has all the traditional titles including baccarat, roulette, blackjack, poker, Pai Gow, and craps, as well as a handful of electronic games such as the Wheel, Rapid Roulette, Rapid Baccarat, and more. It is also said to house the worst table game in Australia, with a title known as Blackjack Plus, which has a house advantage of around 5%, so avoid any table offering this title. They aren’t short on pokies either, with over 3500 lining the floor.
- Tournaments – The Crown Casino hosts regular poker tournaments and sees major players from around the globe visiting for poker events such as the Aussie Millions, the World Series of Poker Asia-Pacific, and more.
- Entertainment – The Crown also prides itself on entertainment with regular live performances, and even a shopping precinct which kids under 18 are allowed to enter. There are a number of nightclubs in the Crown Casino for you to choose from all situated near each other. If you stand out the front for a while, promoters generally give you a good entry deal to compete with their neighbours. Otherwise, check the Sports Bar out with cinematic screening of major sporting events. If you live in Melbourne, or are planning a trip there, we definitely recommend a visit to the Crown Casino.
The Star Casino
Formerly known as Star City Casino and located in Sydney, New South Wales, this casino is said to be the next best venue after the Crown Casino Melbourne. The Star was once home to two-up, our favourite Anzac day game, however it was removed in 2003.
- Casino titles – It now has all the usual casino games including craps, blackjack, roulette, poker, Pontoon, Three Card Poker, Pai Gow, Sic Bo, Caribbean Stud, and Rapid Roulette. The Star also has around 1490 pokies and is limited by regulation to offering a maximum of 1500.
- Entertainment – The Star has one nightclub, the Marquee, which is accessed via the gaming floors. If you want to avoid the $30 club entry then head to the infamous all you can eat prawn buffet at the casino’s Garden Buffet. There are many other restaurant you can visit too, with some privately owned. There are eight bars in and around the gaming floors which generally have some kind of live entertainment playing on weekends. Additionally, the Star City Casino regularly hosts infamous performances the Lion King musical, Dirty Dancing, and more, depending on the schedule.
Jupiters Hotel and Casino
There’s only one level of gaming at Jupiters Hotel and Casino located in Broadbeach, Queensland, but that doesn’t mean the number of games are insignificant.
- Games – Jupiters offers blackjack, craps, roulette, Mini Baccarat, variants of poker, Casino War, Jupiters 21, Sic Bo, Rapid Roulette over 70 table games. They also have more gaming machines than the Star with over 1600 pokies lining the floor.
- Entertainment – There is something on every night at Jupiters, from musicals to comedy, to movies and everything in between. These are generally set up in the infamous Jupiters Theatre which can accommodate up to 2,300 guests.
Since this is the sister casino to Crown Casino Melbourne we can only expect good things. Located in Perth, Western Australia, this casino is the only venue which allows Two-up to be played every day in Australia.
- Coin-operated machines and Two-up rings There are some interesting coin-operated games at Crown Perth, including ball games like Keno, and dice or card games like Video Poker. There are around 1500 of these machines which vary from the traditional slots with a pull down lever, which are prohibited in WA. Additionally, they have all the usual table games which have been mentioned above at the other iconic casinos. The best feature at Crown is indeed their Two-up ring.
- Sports Bar and entertainment – While Melbourne is the sporting capital of Australia, Perth offers punters the chance to view all the action from their Sports Bar which offers HD viewing of all your favourite sporting events. There’s free live music on every night as well as regular shows, such as The Lion King, Dirty Dancing, etc., which you can purchase tickets to.
Located in the CBD of Canberra, this casino is quite small compared to other venues around Australia, and it doesn’t actually offer any theatres, accommodation, or shopping precincts. However, it shouldn’t be passed off as it is a good contender for serious table gamblers who don’t want to get caught up in seeing all the shows on offer, and there is also hotels close-by if you want to stay here. Unfortunately, it is only open 12pm to 4am, rather than operating on a 24 hour schedule.
- Casino games – Featuring table minimums of $2 with games such as blackjack, roulette, Mini-Baccarat, Money Wheel, Pai Gow and Rapid Roulette, players will find these titles across 39 tables. There aren’t any poker machines available due to legislation, so look to another land-based venue if you are one for the slots. Interestingly Canberra Casino is looking into creating free training schools for those who would like to become a dealer.
- Entertainment and tournaments Featuring both a nightclub called Galaxy Club Retro Nightclub open Friday and Saturday nights, and live music around the gaming floor on the weekend, for those who just want to add an extra element to their gaming experience. Additionally, Casino Canberra offers regular poker tournaments where you can win big prizes such as all expenses paid vacations. These are available to join every Thursday up until December, 17.
Skycity Darwin Casino
This casino is the only land-based casino in Darwin, Northern Territory, and was originally known as the MGM Grand Casino.
- Casino tables and slots – Featuring two levels of gaming areas with baccarat, blackjack, Caribbean Stud, roulette, Rapid Roulette, and the Money Wheel as their main table games, with around 26 on the floor for you to browse between. They have just over 700 slot machines for players have a spin, and while the number is small they are available to play 24 hours a day, while the table games open from 12pm. These close at 4am on Sundays through to Thursdays, and 6am on Fridays and Saturdays.
- Entertainment – Skycity have some interesting promotions too, so it is worthwhile signing up to the member’s club here even if you aren’t staying long. Additionally, there are quite a few restaurant and bars to keep you entertained when you aren’t gaming. There is also regular events held here such as movie showings, broadcasted sporting matches, dinners, festivals, and more.
Wrest Point Hotel Casino
While this is last on our list, it was actually the first legal casino to open in Australia and is located in Hobart, Tasmania. They have all the standard casino games, though their table games open at 2pm daily.
- Casino games – Featuring blackjack, roulette, baccarat, Pontoon, The Wheel, and Rapid Roulette, as their standard casino table games, though these are only available to play from 2pm. On Friday nights, between 8:30pm-9:30pm, you can find blackjack tables with minimums of $5. They also offer poker tournaments and a number of slot machines to play.
- Entertainment – There are a number of bars, restaurants, shows and live entertainment available at the Wrest Point Hotel Casino. They’ve hosted The Presets, Keith Urban, John Butler Trio, and more.
Online casinos vs land-based venues
While we understand land-based venues can be a fun way to spend a Friday and Saturday night, for the serious gambler we recommend you go online. You aren’t distracted by crowds of people, whether they be intoxicated or not; you aren’t tempted to spend more money on extras such as food and drink; and you are able to play with a clear mind at home.
Online games may be determined by random number generators, but if you play at a reputable only casino such as as the many we recommend you will be playing fair games. We recommend visiting a land-based casino at least once in your life, but frequenting online gaming establishments regularly if you are serious about gambling.